Monday, October 15, 2007

Why do Honduran women wear stiletto heels on eroded dirt roads and cobblestone streets?

This question has puzzled me for months. I wear tennis shoes and flats and I have to say that I’ve had my share of walking wipeouts. The other night I tripped on a rut and did a sideways-type flip. It was pretty hilarious.

Here the definition of professional attire for many women includes stilettos and the shortest skirt you can find. And I was afraid that some of my shirts and Bermuda shorts would be too risqué for Honduras! I thought wrong. I look like one of the most modestly dressed people here most of the time. I feel bad for the girls in high school. The last year they have to do an internship and the students in accounting or computation have to wear a short skirt and high heels everyday. How uncomfortable!

That’s another thing. Everyone dresses up to go shopping or to the airport in Honduras. I went to City Mall with my friend in San Pedro Sula (the mall is an American island, I swear) and everyone came in their best clothes. My sitemate Nicole said that when she was going to the airport to go back to the states for vacation she was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and flipflops and my host family was shocked that she would wear that on an airplane.

Nicole and I have tried to explain to my family that people dress more casually and comfortably in the US (especially when they know that they will be on a plane for hours). I told them how I used to wear pajamas and sweatpants in the university a lot and they just couldn’t believe it. Practicality, comfort and functionality are not valued in clothing here.

3 comments:

citizenwatchorama said...

hi!!was reading your blog...your experience in a new environment is indeed an interesting read.
I am from India-and I could empathise in a rather strange way with you.
Infact my next post will take this subject up!!
Keep writing.

citizenwatchorama said...

hi!!was reading your blog...your experience in a new environment is indeed an interesting read.
I am from India-and I could empathise in a rather strange way with you.
Infact my next post will take this subject up!!
Keep writing.

Marilyn said...

Because they are STUPID and DESPERATE for attention so much so they they do not understand just how foolish they look. They watch Bollywood or Hollywood and try to copy but believe me Beyonce, JLO nor Kajol are walking 3 blocks to catch the subway transfer to another train and maybe wait for the bus. Beforethey are on that red carpet, notice how they first leave the LIMOUSINE. It is such a stupid thing to do. When they are about the city,(I live in NYC)living their personal lives, they are always dressed for comfort and practicality unless it is a Publicity stunt.