Saturday, October 6, 2007

My work in Morazan

In Morazan I have been assigned to work with 3 organizations:

Vision Mundial Regional (World Vision Regional)

Here, I will be helping develop the HIV/AIDs Education Program. I will be giving training of training workshops on a variety of HIV/AIDs related topics to teachers, community extensionists and students and helping start up microbusinesses for people with HIV/AIDs. The office is really excited to have me here. Everyone is very nice at the office. There is actually air conditioning at the office (What?!) My counterpart is very nice.

Vision Mundial PDA Morazan(Programa del Desarrollo de la Area)= World Vision Area Development Program Morazan

Here, I will be helping out with the Jovenes Emprendadores- Youth Entrepreneur Program. I will be helping youth start and manage microbusinesses. I will teach them how to do market studies, set prices and market their products. Right now there are 2 food and 1 smoothie microbusiness. I am helping a group of 10 youth ages 10-14 start a food microbusiness in an aldea. I will probably also work in some of the other programs. And in the aldeas (villages) where they work I will try to start programs for youth.

and

Instituto Polivalente Francisco Morazan = Francisco Morazan Vocational Middle School/High School

Here, I will give charlas/workshops and trainings on a variety of subjects. I also would like to start up a sports program, as there is not one now. I'd like to start soccer, basketball and volleyball programs (and maybe baseball as Peace Corps may be able to help us get equipment for that). Also, I'd like to start a Latin Dance club, as everyone here wants to know how to dance salsa, merengue, bachata and cumbia. I will also probably be teaching economics and business-type classes from time to time.
My counterpart, the school counselor is very nice. I go to her apartment a lot and drink cuban coffee. Her husband is from Cuba and she wants me to teach her salsa.

BUT, I don't have to work just with these organizations. I can work with anyone I want. I'd like to work with the kinder and primary schools. There is no English program in the primary schools and I have a Peace Corps program that I could get funds to implement there. Also, there is a library that I could get Rieken Foundation sponsorship for so that they could get new books and internet. Also, there are other organizations in the community that I could work with such as a women's microfinance business and a Pico Pijol tourism development business.

I'm excited!

No comments: