Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Immense Capacity of the Honduran Motorcyle

Before I came to Honduras, I thought that motorcycles were basically efficient transportation for one or two people. Honduran motorcycles--you have proved me wrong. You have stretched the word efficiency to the max. You see, Honduran motorcycles can carry any quantity of people and unlimited cargo--it seems. Four people can ride on Honduran motorcycles. Two-year-old children can ride on motorcycles--just sandwich them in the middle or hold them in your lap with one hand and drive with the other.

Not only can Honduran motorcycles carry a number of passengers, but it has a broad cargo capacity. Here is just a small sampling of what I have seen motorcycles carry:

-Big Boxes. As in, boxes that might contain a TV or a microwave.
-Chairs. 3 to be exact. Just strap them down to the back and sides of the motorcycle with rope.
-Wooden table. Just balance it on your head.

I'll update you periodically on my motorcycle sightings. The moral of the story: As Americans, we are undeniably undermining the immense potential of motorcycles.

No comments: