Saturday, October 6, 2007

And my site is...

MORAZAN, YORO! I will be working with World Vision Regional: World Vision Area Development Project and the Instituto Polivalente Francisco Morazán (the technical/vocational middle school/high school). According to the little info book that they gave me about my site, Morazán has a population of 10,433 people in the city limits and over 26,000 people living in the surrounding villages. Morazán is a “semi urban center with rapid growth.” Its economy is based on agriculture and cattle and it is located in the Valley of Cataguana (Cat-ta-WA-na), one of the most productive valleys in Honduras. It is located at 240 meters above sea level. The climate is “hot and very humid and there is rainfall throughout the year.” February, September and October are the rainiest times of the year. The average temperature is 86 degrees. Malaria and Leishmaniasis are present all year long. I am advised to use my mosquito net, insect repellent, Malaria Prophylaxis and sunblock. Chinche picuda, the insect that causes Chagas disease, is common in the rural and marginal urban parts of Morazán.

“The Morazán area is poor. Morazán has a lower Human Development Index than the department of Yoro and all of Honduras. One-third of households in Morazán live in extreme poverty.

Morazán has “running water,” but it is “hard to give an opinion on the quality of the water locally.”

Morazán has electricity, cell phone service and internet. There are 3 banks, several pulperias (small grocery stores) and pharmacies, 2 elementary schools, 2 high schools AND a “daily public market in midtown.”

Morazán is located in the North Cost Region of Honduras. It’s in the Northwestern part of the Department of Yoro. It is located 2 hours from the beach in Tela!!! It’s sort of in the north/central part of the country, but a little bit to the west. Also it is located right next to a national park called Pico Pijol.


I looked Morazán up in my Moon Travel Book. It is considered a “dusty cowboy town” and a “gateway to the little-explored cloud-forest reserve Pico Pijol”. There is a triple waterfall with an “excellent swimming spot surrounded by forest.” Sweet. Don’t worry, I’ll send pictures.

“Housing options are scarce in Yoro.” So we'll see how that works out. I have to live with a family for at least the first 2 months.

2 comments:

krosales said...

Hi, PCV I was a Hondu 5 Health PCV in Morazan Yoro 2205-2006. I have so many fond memories of that town. I was working with Vision Mundial & ACPH, but had to ET because of family issues. There are many things I would have liked to have finished. I am very happy to hear Morazan has you now. We worked really hard during my service to get you there. Good luck to you, and please contact me if you need anything from a contact to something from the states.

diane said...

hi there my name is diane and i am from england i was in morazan for a number of years working in the health centre i met my husband there who is from morazan i love the people town and everything about it. if you need anything contact me cause i have family there hope you enjoy your time there take care diane