Saturday, July 28, 2007

Pretty Honduras Photo and Boiled Milk, Anyone?


WOW! Honduras is beautiful! This photo was taken from Santa Lucia, where I live. My friend Diana run every day after school (yes, we have classes from 7:30-4:30ish) and this is the view we have when we run.

On a completely unrelated note...


So, evidently it is very normal to boil milk here. In the smaller towns it is necessary because the milk is not pasteurized. In the rest of Honduras (ie: Santa Lucia) this is not necessary because the milk is pasteurized. However, almost everyone still boils milk because that is what they are accustomed to doing. My family also boils milk, but as they have had 4 Peace Corps trainees before me, they realize that the gringos don’t necessarily like boiled milk with their Corn Flakes. I’m thankful that my mom actually asked me if I preferred cold or hot milk. Some of the trainees are too shy and/or don’t have the Spanish skills to tell their families that they like cold milk. And a handful actually like boiled milk. I am extremely happy to find out that Hondurans refrigerate milk (this was not always a given in Peru).

No comments: