Sunday, September 9, 2007

Me vs. Honduran Laundry = I lose

So, every week, I spend at least 3 hours washing clothes on a washboard. Here’s the process: I put some powder laundry detergent in a bucket (the same bucket I use for the bucket shower). Then I add water and all of my dirty clothes. I mix them up and then I let them sit for 10-15 minutes. Then, one piece of clothing at a time I wash them by hand on the washboard. I put some crazy strong blue stick soap all over the inside and outside of my clothes, pour some water over them and scrub like crazy. It’s really hard to get out all of the soap while at the same time not using too much water. When the soap finally comes out and/or I’m tired of scrubbing the piece of clothing, I deem it clean and hang it on a clothesline outside. My host mom takes pity on me and often she just takes over my laundry because I’m so slow/bad at doing it. I guess she figures that I keep the kids busy playing cards and doing crafts every afternoon, so she doesn´t have to worry about keeping them occupied. It´s sort of an exchange program. She rests while I play with the kids and I rest while she does laundry. Gracias Mama Mechey!

No comments: