Sunday, September 9, 2007

Chiquitìn

Chiquitin is my “adopted” kitten. One of my four-year-old neighbors found a kitten in the cemetery and brought it home. However, at their house there is not enough food for the children, let alone a cat. So it was really skinny and running all around the neighborhood looking for food. Every day at lunch he would run in and try to attack our table. But he was so adorable. Our family always gave him food. I gave him a bath yesterday, and now he no longer has fleas.

My host mom jokes that her house is an animal shelter because their cat Mimi was a stray. Lassie, the next door neighbor’s dog always hangs out at our house and eats here because no one loves her or feeds her there. Her sister and her 2 puppies also hang out here sometimes. And now, Chiquitin… I wish I could adopt Chiquitin, but I don’t know if I can have a pet for the first few months in my site because I will be living with a host family. Also, I kind of want a dog for protection. So right now I’m trying to find a family for Chiquitin before I leave. He sleeps in my room because sometimes him and Mimi don’t get along.

I don’t understand why everyone has animals here, if they don’t plan to take care of them. It seems that my family is one of the only families in town that actually takes care of their animals. Most of the dogs and cats here have visible ribs and roam the streets all day where people mostly just yell at them to go away or hit and kick them. I guess it’s because neutering and spaying are non-existent here. Also, since many adults hit and kick animals, many children here think that that’s what you’re supposed to do with animals. They don’t seem to understand that animals obviously have feelings and when you pick up a cat by its neck or a dog by its tail, it hurts them. They just kind of see animals as toys.

r5t-=fd0-

Check out this algebra problem that Chiquitin just typed as he walked across my keyboard. I’m just so proud of my Chiquitin. I´ll send a picture soon.

No comments: